Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Another 25 Days of Old Time Radio Christmas - Day 5: Mailing Packages with Fibber McGee and Molly (1940)

Celebrating the holidays this year by highlighting a different Christmas episodes from Old Time Radio by showcasing a program a day (well, I will try).  I expect to have some repeats, but also some new shows featured as well.  If you have Sirius XM, you can listen to Greg Bell's Old time radio channel (#148).  Or you can see my previous OTR Christmas entries (or drop to the bottom of this message).

We are heading to one of the most famous addresses in all of popular culture. 79 Wistful Vista - the home of Fibber McGee and Molly.  This radio situation comedy was one of the longest running shows on the air, starting back in 1935 and continuing as its own 30 minute show through 1956 before spending two or so years as a brief segment over NBC on their Monitor Program.  There are so many different episodes to choose from from this great series that showcase Christmas and all the activities that are part of the holidays.  I have already featured this episode twice before (and likely once again this year) Looking for a Christmas Tree with Fibber McGee & Molly (1943) & Fibber McGee and Molly's Phonograph (1940).


Cosmo Enjoying the Boxes from B&H Photo
Cosmo the Cat Enjoying Christmas Packages - from December 2015


Some things about Christmas shopping has changed a great deal over the last 75 years.  But some things have not changed all that much.  When we are purchasing gifts for family far away, it involves a trip to the Post Office (or the UPS store or the Fed Ex Store, etc.).  Such was the situation that Fibber McGee and Molly found themselves during the episode that first aired on December 10th, 1940.  They arrive at the Post Office to get their packages off in the mail, but are immediately met with a very long line..really long.  

It reminds me of the line that I recently stood in when I was traveling to India - the immigration line at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai, India.  It would have taken hours to get through - and I did not have that time before my connection.  So I did what others did - worked my way to the top.  No one seemed to mind and I made my connection.  I was hesitant in squeezing my way to the front of the line because that is just not how we do things in the States.  But it seems to be OK in India - and again, I made my connection, so all is well.  

I bring this up because Fibber McGee and Molly are thinking about a way to cut their line short at the Post Office - and the other people in line did not take kindly to their attempts.  So they waited, and waited, and waited.  That did give the writers an opportunity for them to meet up with all of the regular characters like Teeny, The Old Timer, Mrs. Abigail Uppington after seeing Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve before they left.  But their patience was rewarded when they got to the front of the line...well, almost.  Joining Jim and Marian Jordan in this show were announcer Harlow Wilcox, Harold Peary, Bill Thompson, Isabel Randolph aw well as The King's Men and Billy Mills and His Orchestra. 

I hope you enjoy this episode, and have an easier time mailing packages to loved ones this year!


Another 25 Days of Old Time Radio Christmas (from 2017) & Other Links

25 Days of Old Time Radio Christmas (from 2016) 

25 Days of Old Time Radio Christmas (from 2015) & Other Links

25 Days of Old Time Radio Christmas (from 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment